Digital Nomad Defined:
Truly, this phrase has been romanticized to the point where it is so cliché, and when someone uses the term, I ignore them. However, there are people who are motivated, and want to know how to become independent.
(I use this photo as proof, I have five USB Wireless Modems taped to my fingers. I now own 8 of them, Cote d'Ivoire, Ghana, Philippines, Guatemala, USA, Honduras, Thailand Tethered - Togo Tethered, etc.- After 2011, the world became truly wireless.)
Let us define it by what we as Digital Nomads can do, or not do?
1. We are not capable of renting a room longer than a month.
2. We could own a home, but we would rent it to another person.
3. We do not need a car.
4. We do not have appointments, we are digital, and nomadic, remember?
5. We move around freely, we always find places to sleep that are temporary.
6. Digital means we are connected to the world through computers, bandwidth, Internet, Skype.com, and other uses of electronic gear.
7. We are almost always self-employed, there are few journalists, travel writers, and photographers that go on assignment, but think of the word "Nomad," that stops the wander and truly disqualifies them, unless again temporary.
8. Nomad means, no set destination, maybe wandering to a place that hits our fancy.
9. I suppose a Digital Nomad could wander around the USA forever, or drive a van, motorhome, etc Maybe you would call that a Domestic Nomad Traveler. Then there are us International ones.
10. Many passport stamps.
11. Fully aware of the 110-220 problems.
12. A digital nomad would not be able to work at a brick and mortar business.
Please put suggestions in comments, thanks.
Andy Lee Graham 14 years of nomad travel, and 90 countries.
Log In to Leave a Comment or Join
Copyright © 2018 All rights reserved.
Not a member? Sign Up
Gear For Sale by HoboTraveler.com. All gear sold, and shipped from Amazon.com for safe, fast service.
digitalnomadtraveler.com is a part of the HoboTraveler network.
The 100 Best Cities to Live International are chosen by Hobo Travelers on the Hobo Network. Our goal at Hobo is to give you 100, then you can narrow it down 10. Become and member of that city group. You can learn the pros and cons from members living there.
The 100 Best Cities to Live Abroad